Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Adventures of an STA

This semester I have the opportunity to student teach an anatomy class. I assist one professor and then run one open lab with several other Student Teacher Assistants. I have learned several things (besides what I failed to learn in anatomy). I learned that if you have gas during class, just head on back to the cadaver lab and let it go. You can't smell anything over the phenol, so nobody will ever know. But more than learning new things, I have fun! Want to know what happens when a bunch of anatomy nerds get together? We play games.
Game #1:
"The Bone Box"
We have a box that is painted black with a hole cut out of one side and a towel covering the opening. We take bones and place them in the box. Then, we take turns putting one hand in the box and determining
a) which bone it is
b) whether it is belongs on the right or the left side of the body
This is quite a fun game and it is also a good way to quiz ourselves.

Game #2:
"Anatomical Pictionary"
We take turns drawing landmarks of bones. It is quite fun in all honesty. Have you ever tried to draw the hamulus of the hamate bone? Have you ever tried to decipher whether it was a deltoid tuberosity of the humerus? Let me tell you, it keeps us on our toes!

P.S. I always win the bone box game

No comments: